EME 2040 Blog

   Welcome to my blog! My name is Emma Serle and I am a student at Florida State University. I am from Boca Raton, Florida, and have two sisters named Romy and Molly, as well as two dogs named Mabel and Maisie. I am currently a freshman majoring in Elementary Education, though I do have my certification to teach preschool anywhere in the state of Florida. I earned this certification through my high school: Spanish River Community High School. Joining the Early Childhood Academy at my high school allowed me to achieve these accomplishments as well as not only learn about early childhood, but about myself as well. I learned what I am passionate about and my strengths and weaknesses. I also gained a sense of confidence knowing that I do have a backup plan that I have a strong passion for. 

By being a preschool teacher and going through four years of intense training, I have worked with many different technological devices and experimented to see which techniques work best. My personal favorite is the Smartboard. Children love to interact with it whether it is to count the apples on the screen or to listen to music while dancing to their favorite songs. One of my favorite music and dance songs is the Popsico one. This helps children develop their gross motor skills because they are using their arms and legs to dance and move around. I also like the game "The Floor is Lava," as it encourages children to think and move at the same time, promoting both cognitive and physical development. 

In terms of my education and learning resources, I often use sites such as Canvas, Top Hat, ALEKS, Google, libraries, and the media. Each of these sites has a different purpose but can be used for educational reasons. For example, I tend to visit the library a lot when I need to study or finish a large assignment. Sometimes I will go with classmates so that we can talk about the assignment for us to understand it better. Additionally, I use Google to do research for certain assignments or to educate myself on current events. In one of my classes, we focus on twentieth-century movies related to culture so sites such as Netflix give me access to these movies where I can watch them and then talk about them in class with my peers. 

Comments

  1. Hi Emma! That's super cool that you achieved preschool teaching license during high school! I personally have never used Smartboard but it sounds like a great tool for teaching young kids! Your class about 20 century movies sound very interesting and I also use some of the technology that you use for learning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Emma! I think it's really cool that you have your certification to teach preschool! I am majoring in elementary education too and I want to be a kindergarten teacher. The Smartboard is a really good tool, I never thought about that. I worked at an elementary school last year and all the students loved interacting with the board like you said so this is a really good tool for teachers to use. I also have used Canvas, Tophat, ALEKS, Google, and libraries. I always go to Strozier library whenever I need to study because I focus so much better there. Canvas is an easy tool to use that helps me keep track of all my classes, so I benefit a lot from it. I really like your blog set up, it is really pretty and your first blog is very well-written.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emma! That's so cool that you are already certified, very very cool. I didn't even think about "The Floor is Lava" being an educational game.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts